The Logo

The Logo
Thanks to John-Paul Zito for the monkey pic

Monday, June 4, 2007

Lesson VII: Gone by Kanye West


I know I took a while to post this I just got over come with some regular shit and didn't get a chance to post. Kanye West gave us the College Dropout the same month that I dropped out of college to pursue a better life than 9-5 in a cubicle regardless of economic stature. Since the exact moment that his music first hit my ears I've been a huge fan. The song "Gone" from his second full length release, titled Late Registration, is a masterful expression of John Brion's string sections, lyrical play, and the sweet sound of Otis Redding's "It's Too Late." (PS: The real version is ballin'.)

While Kanye's first verse is pretty good, and irresistible anyways because the strings are fucking your face the entire time, Cam'ron's verse is stunning. He allows the repetition of Otis Redding's hook line to finish his thought stream. This is one of the best uses of the lyrics ina sample to intertwine with a rap verse I think I've ever heard. Kanye comes back in for a third verse where he says the word gone in every line making it a total of 23 gones.

At this point in the song John Brion brings in this short ambient string piece that is worth the entire listen itself! I mean this string rise is brilliant. It drops you right back into your seat at the final verse where Kanye drops a little more knowledge on you and then bounces. I highly suggest you get onto digging this song.






No comments: